Tuesday, May 26, 2009

William Thomas Corn






William Thomas Corn
May 25, 2009
3:04 PM
Weight: 7 lb. 0.8 oz.
Length 20 in.
Head: 12 3/4
Shoulders: 13 1/4

My contractions started late Saturday afternoon, after timing them for an hour and a half we called the doctor on call and she said to come in. They were coming about every 3-4 minutes and I was dilated to four. She monitored me for about 3 hours and then sent me home. We got home and I could barely rest at all. I was in and out of bed all night, I might have wound up with 2 hours of sleep. Sunday morning I woke up and wasn't having any contractions at all. I walked around the block in the neighborhood, then went home and waited on Joe to get up and for my mom to bring Joseph home. Once Joseph got home, Joe and I took a walk through part of our neighborhood and the neighborhood behind us. At around 2:00 the contractions started coming again, much harder than what they were the night before. Again, we called the doctor on call and went back in. Just our luck, the same lady was on call. The nurse checked my cervix and said that I had progressed to a five. After monitoring me for an hour Dr. Platt comes in the room and says that she can tell I'm having contractions but she still isn't sure if I'm in active labor. So she checks my cervix (in the middle of a contraction) and says I'm at four. She tells me to get up and walk around for 40 minutes and see if there are any changes. So we walk around and then go back to the room, she comes in and says I've "progressed" to five. But that by checking me she has pushed me to a six. So they take me from a triage room into a delivery room and place me in bed. I saw Dr. Platt twice during the middle of the night, and my nurse only when I paged her. They seriously did nothing for me. At about 2:00 I asked if I could walk around since I wasn't progressing and they weren't doing anything to help. Dr. Platt, who was just getting ready to go into surgery, said yes but that I needed to wait until she got done in 20 minutes. 20 minutes turned into 2 hours - and then changed to, 'I'll strip your membranes first and then you can walk after I get out of surgery'. So when I finally saw her, she mentioned nothing about walking and said that I needed to sleep. I'd been sleeping on and off all night but she thought I would need the energy to deliver him and that by sleeping it would induce labor. So here's the one thing she did for that night...gave me ambien. Yes, the sleep-aid that makes you do all sorts of crazy stuff. She even went as far as to say that when the next doctor came on call at 8:00, they would probably have to be very aggressive with me because she'd just been monkeying around.
So 8:00 rolls around, a new doctor is on call. He comes in at 8:10 and first thing he does is breaks my water. Thank God! After seeing that it wasn't causing the reaction he'd like he gave me a very low dose of pitocin at 10. The low dose wasn't really helping much either so they bumped it up at about 12:30. Once they bumped it up the contractions came hard. I was dilated to about a 6-7 and the contractions were coming once every 2 minutes and hitting in the 80's to 90's every time. I barely had any time to recover from them before the next hit. After about 20 minutes of them hitting non-stop I decided to get a low dose of an epidural so I could relax through them a little bit. Next thing we knew I was at a 9 and we were just waiting on a couple good contractions to push me to a ten. As I was visiting with family members I began noticing quite a bit of pressure so I asked the nurse (who ironically went to school with Joe) to check me again. I was at 10 and he was position in the birth canal pretty darn well. She paged the doctor he came in, I pushed 3 times when he said, "okay, if you laugh he's going to come flying out." So from there Dr. Dunlop just pulled him out. The whole process lasted maybe 15 minutes. He latched on almost immediately after birth, but then he hit a sleepy phase so we've been having problems the last couple feedings. He feel asleep at 8:30 last night and slept until 4:30 this morning. 8 straight hours and not even a day old. I've never seen anything like it.

No comments: